Now then. This is a bit special. By no means is this the kind of hot chocolate that you smother with squirty cream and marshmallows – this is not for wee little children or people who think that white chocolate is chocolate (it’s not mate).
This a decadent, rich, grown up hot chocolate. It’s also good for you but that’s by the by when you sit down and treat yourself to a big cup of goodness.
Made with raw cacao and fresh lavender, there’s something almost ceremonial about the flavour. And it’s so easy to make.
Some of the ingredients may sound a bit strange but all are available from most supermarkets or health food shops.
You will need
1 table spoon raw cacao powder
1 table spoon coconut sugar
1 teaspoon maple syrup
1 cup almond milk
Few drops vanilla extract
2 heads of fresh lavender
- Apart from the lavender, combine all.the ingredients in a pan.
- Remove the flowers from one of the lavender heads and add to the mixture.
- Heat gently, stirring so that the ingredients combine.
- Once piping hot, taste to see if more sweetness is needed. The coconut sugar doesn’t sweeten very much, more it adds a burnt caramel flavour. So add more maple syrup to taste if required.
- Blend or use a milk frother.
- Heat again if needed.
- Pour into a cup and garnish with lavender.
Far removed from the synthetic hot chocolate powders we all know and love, raw cacao powder is actually a superfood. It contains magnesium which contributes to healthy psychological function and copper which boosts the immune system and metabolism.
So a sit down with a cup of hot chocolate is good for you 😘
Love Rachel ❤️