If there’s one thing I’m really good at, it’s making buttercream.
When you read this super simple recipe, you’ll wonder how people ever get it wrong but they do! I’ve tasted many a greasy, lumpy buttercream in my time. Of course I smile and eat the cake anyway (I’m not a quitter) but it’s nice to know how to make it super smooth and fluffy, right?
Simply put, the trick is to whisk/beat it into submission. Whisk is for far longer than you think you need to and then whisk it a little more! The result is butter team perfection ?
You will need
*To ice 6 small cupcakes
50g / 2oz margerine
100g /4oz icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon milk if needed
- In a medium bowl, whisk the margerine until the colour pales.
- Sieve the icing sugar and add half to the bowl.
- Combine well, whisking slowly at first and then beating well until the mixture becomes even paler.
- Add the vanilla.
- Add the remaining icing sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- If required, you can add a little milk.
Your butter cream is now ready to be spread or piped into your cakes.
You’re welcome ?
Love Rachel ❤️