They’re pretty aren’t they – but what exactly are these cups of colour and petals?
I’m not usually one to jump on the bandwagon of the latest superfood, but here’s one I can get behind. Ladies and gentlemen, I’m delighted to present Moon milk!
Put simply, Moon milk or Lunar lattes are warm milk drinks, laced with adaptogen herbs. I use the what I believe to be the most widely effective of them – ashwaganda.
Adaptogens literally help the body to adapt and adjust. So for example, they can help you to calm down in times of stress – bringing peace to a racing mind in the middle of the night. They can give clarity when your mind feels foggy and a boost of energy when you’re tired.
Russian toxicologist Nikolay Lazarev first coined the phrase ‘adaptogen’ back in the 1940s. He was pleased to discover substances that could do the following:
- Cause a non-specific result, meaning they can act on multiple parts of the body at the same time.
- Have a normalizing impact on physiology, meaning they’ll raise what is too low and lower what is raised.
- Not interfere with the normal functioning of the user, meaning they’re non-addictive and without major side effects
The use of adaptogens as part of a healthy lifestyle has been scientifically proven (yes you read that correctly) to:
- Improve overall wellbeing
- Increase energy
- Optimise organ function
- Reduce stress response
- Improve blood sugar levels
- Optimise protein synthesis
- Reduce inflammatory cortisol levels
- Improve cholesterol ratios
- Regulate hormonal balance
Ashwaganda is made from the fruit of a small shrub found in India and North Africa. It tastes a bit weird but luckily you don’t need much and in the spirit of Ayurvedic medicine, moon milk is sweetened with honey, maple syrup or coconut sugar.
Any kind of milk can be used. Dairy, coconut, almond, soya – whatever you prefer ? And if we eat first with our eyes then these gorgeous drinks are a feast! You can add spices, berries, superfood powders, flowers, herbs…..the possibilities are endless.
I’m finding Moon Milk incredibly effective. I’m sleeping better than I have for years and I’ve noticed a huge improvement in my mood and general well-being. It tastes really good too!
Love Rachel ❤️