Inspired by cranberry sauce at Christmas dinner, this jewel coloured jam would make the perfect home made foodie Christmas gift – and you can make it now. It’s sweet enough to enjoy on toast but tart enough to make a delightful addition to a festive cheese board.
You will need
400g frozen cranberries
Zest and juice of one orange
One apple (any kind)
200g Granulated sugar
*Makes about 3 6oz jars. Sterilise them in the usual way
- Put a saucer on the fridge to get cold
- Peel, core and grate the apple
- Place the apple, orange zest and juice, sugar and cranberries in a large pan
- Slowly heat until all.of the sugar has melted
- Bring to the boil
- Hold at a steady boil for 10 minutes
- After 10 minutes the cranberries should all have burst and the jam should be thickening up
- Add the sherry and 2-4 tablespoons water if the jam looks too thick
- Boil for another five minutes
- Spoon a little jam onto the cold plate. Of it wrinkles when you nudge it with your finger then it’s ready. If not then book for another five minutes. I like to call this jam ‘done’ when it’s still quite softly set
- Spoon into sterilised jars
This is honestly delicious – the fruit keeps its shape a little and tastes so fresh and vibrant.
Dorothy used this jam to make lovely, pillar box red, jam tarts and it’s perfect spread inside a Victoria Sponge.
Love Rachel ❤️