I’ll never forget my first taste of mulled wine. I was about 15 and helping out at a Church Christmas fair when I took a sip of the most delicious rich, spicy drink I’ve ever come across.
From that moment onwards I was hooked. As soon as the 1st of December comes round I have Christmas songs on my record player and mulled wine on the hob!
But before the Christmas season properly begins, it always seems a bit odd to drink mulled wine. Behold the alternative!!!
Spiced cider is delicious. It has the warming, festive qualities of mulled wine but it’s lighterand alot less potent! It’s a golden cup of Autumn spice and you just have to try it!
You Will Need
750 ml apple cider
1 1/2 tablespoons soft dark brown sugar
2 star anise
2cm fresh ginger
6 whole cloves
- Pour your cider into a large pan and add the sugar
- Take the rind of half an orange and Alice into thin strips, add to the pan
- Squeeze the juice of half an orange into the pan
- Slice half of the apple into rings. Peel a s chop.the other half into small chunks and add to the pan
- Peel the fresh ginger and chop into very small pieces
- Add the fresh ginger, 2 cinnamon sticks, star anise and cloves to the pan
- Add 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat the mixture gently, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Continue to heat until the pan begins to steam but don’t bring it to the boil
Allow to cool for a moment and then serve. You will become completely obsessed with this drink. Sorry not sorry 😂
Love Rachel ❤️