My friend Michelle loves a coconut milk latte. And it was her love for that delicious, keto friendly milk that inspired this recipe.
I’m a firm believer that some drinks just taste better with non-dairy milk – that far from being an substitute, some dairy alternatives should be the basis of the recipe. Chai lattes taste better with almond milk for example and oat milk makes for a really filling smoothie. Coconut milk in all it’s creamy, silky glory is showcased in this luxurious hot chocolate. This hot chocolate is so good in fact that I could probably open a shop selling just cups of this!
I’ve tried to use volume measurements here as it’s easier than getting your weighing scales out.
You will need (for 2 mugs)
2 tins (about 3 cups) coconut milk. You can use cartons but the milk is watered down somewhat
1/3 cup (60g) milk chocolate chips or vegan alternative
1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Coconut whipped cream to serve
Rosemary or mint leaves
- In a large pan, combine the coconut milk, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, syrup, vanilla and a little salt.
- Cook over medium heat until the milk is very hot, but don’t allow it to boil
- Stir the mixture constantly to prevent sticking and burning
- Once the hot chocolate is steaming hot pour into mugs
- Add a dollop of whipped coconut cream, a couple of pomegranate ‘jewels’ and a sprig of rosemary or mint
- Dust with cinnamon or nutmeg if the fancy takes you
Served with or without marshmallows, this is quite a treat on a Wintery day.
Love Rachel ❤