I made this cake in 2022 when we celebrated Queen Elizabeth’s Platinum Jubilee. We had a street party and enjoyed some yummy food and a bit of fizz with our neighbours. The sun was shining and it was an absolutely glorious day.
I’m not sure what we’re doing for the King’s Coronation yet – I don’t know about you, but I’m just not feeling it. The past year has been harder than ever for my community and it just feels a bit off to be spending so much money on all this pageantry. Nevertheless, it’s a moment in history and we’ll certainly be doing something to mark it.
I’ll be making another one of these cakes for sure and if you’d like to make one, here’s how
You will need *These amounts are for one layer, if you’d prefer two layers, simply double the recipe
110 gCaster sugar
110g Self raising flour
Splash of milk
200g Icing sugar
Splash of milk
- Preheat the oven to 180c / 300f / gas4
- Grease and line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper
- Whisk the margerine until it pales in colour
- Add the sugar and vanilla and whisk again
- Add the eggs and whisk again!
- Add the flour and fold in to the mixture
- Add a little milk and fold again
- Spoon in to the baking sheet and gently push in to the corners. It should be a thin layer
- Tap to ensure that the mixture is level
- Bake until golden – approximately 15 mins
- Allow to cool completely before removing from the tray
- Rinse the berries and allow then to dry while you make the frosting
- To make the buttercream frosting, whisk the margerine until it pales
- Add the icing sugar a few spoonfuls at a time and whisk, whisk, whisk. You need to whisk for longer than you might think
- Add vanilla extract and a splash of milk and whisk again
- Spoon in to a piping bag and pipe little stars/flowers all over the cake. If you’re having two layers then pipe on one layer, place the second cake on top and repeat
- Slice the larger strawberries in half and use to create a cross
- Slice smaller strawberries to make a second, diagonal cross
- Use the blue berries to fill in triangles creating the Union Flag
- Add a few edible flowers to make it look extra pretty
What do you think? Will you be celebrating the coronation?
Love Rachel ❤️